Monday, July 19, 2010

The Awesomest Name in Sports

Lodewicus Theodorus Oosthuizen - or Louis for short. Or his nickname 'Shrek' due to his gap-tooth smile. I popped into work on Thursday, and being the resident golf expert at the station, I was asked how to pronounce his name.

So I says to Kristi I says, "Oh him. I have no idea - never seen him before. But he wont be around for long, so I wouldn't worry about it." There's always those unknown guys in the US Open and Open Championship that shoot incredible first day rounds, and then fade off into obscurity after collapsing due to the pressure. How was I to know this would be any different?

Remember when Mike Weir was tied with Tiger for the lead on the final day at the '99 PGA Championship? He ballooned to an 80 on that day. Sure he won the Masters a few years later, but he just wasn't ready to win a major yet. Better yet, Dustin Johnson earlier this year at Pebble Beach during the US Open - ouch. So I wasn't alone in thinking it was pointless to have to learn Louis' name either.

But did he put on a clinic or what? Jeebus. St. Andrews is the home of golf for a reason, and Louis looked at home all week. The guy was unflappable. On what is one of the biggest stages in golf, he shone bright when others flickered and faltered - it was a treat to watch an 'unknown' bring it! He even gave a pre-round interview on Sunday, which is something I always cringe at when I see. But he just stayed in his comfort zone, drove the ball like a champ all week, and wasn't a disaster on the greens*.

*see: Tiger Woods

I hope Louis is one of those players that is a steady fixture during major championships, there'll be a contest for best smile on tour between him and Padraig Harrington 4 times a year.
This is what I do when I get a new club - let alone the Claret Jug. Good on ya Shrek!

1 comment:

  1. Haha best entry I've read in awhile! Mainly because of the name droppage. haha.

    ReplyDelete