Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Sequels

You've probably heard the talk surrounding the possibility of an Anchorman sequel. And how could they not consider making a sequel? The original is one of the funniest, ridiculous (but in a good way) movies I've seen. It has to be one of the most quoted movies in my group of friends - which could be because we work in media... but I'd like to think I'd still quote the shit out of it if I was in another line of work. So upon hearing details a few months ago that the 'odds are good' of a sequel, I was pretty pumped up.

That about sums it up.

But upon scouring the interwebs for random info about anything, I stumbled across an article that said Will Ferrell said it wasn't looking good for a sequel, because everyone's too busy. Which I'm going to assume means everyone else is too busy, cause Will sure doesn't seem to be doing much of anything right now. I mean, did anyone even see Land of the Lost? *(According to imdb.com - Will currently has 11 movies in development. Touche sir.)

But that's beside the point. In an age where Hollywood is scared of taking a chance with something original, and sequels and remakes are the norm, I'm actually happy this sequel might not see the light of day.
That escalated quickly!

What's worse than a bad movie? A bad sequel. Take Spiderman 3 as an example. If you've ever met me, you know my feelings on that movie. When I saw it opening day, during the emo-dance number, I loudly informed the theatre that it was 'the worst movie I've ever seen'. Then why did I see it on opening day you ask? Because it had potential! I mean, it had Venom in it! Goddamn. They ruined one of the coolest villains ever. People are upset that they're rebooting the Spiderman franchise without Sam Raimi and Toby McNerd, but I think they waited one crappy movie too many.

I'm glad this sequel might be shelved, because then the legacy that is Ron Burgundy will never go up in flames. Just Will's career is suffering that fate. Case and point - I was given a copy of Semi-Pro when I was an unpaid intern, I watched it once, laughed twice, and gave it away. This coming from someone who owns quite possibly the worst movie ever. It's called The Greenskeeper, and it stars racist baseball player John Rocker. It's truly awful, yet I kept it, and gave away Semi-Pro.

The ultimate travesty is when they take a good movie, rush out a sequel, and destroy how you felt about the first one by having to associate it with the mess that was the second. I know it's guaranteed money for a studio, but it still sucks. Unless of course I write a hit movie, then they can make all the sequels they want while I take a swim in my vault, a-la Scrooge McDuck.


2 comments:

  1. Pfft, yeah right, and I bet you're one of those goons who thinks Aladdin 4: Jafar May Need Glasses was a real stinker too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes the sequel far surpasses the original. New Moon for example. Speaking of which, I have a couple of hours to kill...

    ReplyDelete