Monday, February 15, 2010

Golden Moment

Watched the Men's Moguls finals last night.

Welcome to Awesomeville
population : all of Canada.




Those freestyle skiers are cra-eh-zy. But this is why the olympics are so cool - it's an event I've watched a few times, and every 4 years it seems more impressive to me than it did last time. If I was a young kid, or someone who liked to ski, I'd want to do that. Twists and spins, breakneck speeds and their poor knees. As it stands now, I cant even get up off a couch without wincing.
They fly - more often than not, upside down.

The best part of Alexandre Bilodeau winning the gold medal was that it was our first gold on home soil. I didn't think that would be a big deal, but it really was. But the things that went along with that fact made it so much sweeter - the crowd noise, the spontaneous outbreak of 'Oh Canada' in downtown Vancouver, and the collective sigh of relief heard around the nation.
Upside Down mayor of Awesomeville.

I was pumped when I saw that the French skier missed his grab, I dont normally like to revel in other people's mistakes, but that was fantastic. Way to just walk away when Alex tried to shake your hand buddy. And the expression on the Canadian guy who skies for Australia's face was awesome. He didn't appear overly happy with the results.

Well done Alex, you made us all proud, and although you were the one who won, that medal belongs to all of Canada - and we couldn't be happier. The only downside to the entire experience was the fact that CTV keeps playing that "I Believe" song. Ugh. But even that couldn't tarnish this moment!





We have one of each now!






I think Olympic fever has got it's hold on me now, and last I checked, even more cowbell wont cure this bad boy. Alpine Skiing is finally a go for today, and I'm gonna be stoked if we add to the medal totals! And is anyone else loving Jay Onrait during this Olympic coverage? He even makes Dan and Jessi from MTV Canada tolerable. This morning they were talking about the short program from the Pairs Figure Skating, and they had me laughing at 6am, which was a feat in and of itself.

1 comment:

  1. Loving the blog, Tom! Now your irreverent commentary is in print form. Well done, sir.

    ReplyDelete