Saturday, February 27, 2010

Saskatchewon

Typo alert! Sound the alarm! If it's intentional, is it still a typo? Anyway, on to the good stuff...

Watched the nail-biting, heart attack-inducing, too-close-for-comfort semi-final last night against Slovakia. I feel, like the rest of Canada I'm sure, that I aged a few years in those final few minutes. I had plans to go out after the game, but I was exhausted when it was all said and done, and called it a night. I slept like a baby. Looking back at the game, there were things I loved about it, and things (mainly the last 7.5 minutes) that caused some mild cardiac issues. Let's focus on the good.


Putting all of Canada on it's shoulders
and getting us all free health-care.



Saskatchewan. All the goals scored for Canada in last night's game... you got it. The boys from Canada's bread basket (lamest nickname ever, btw) were the ones lighting the lamp. Patrick Marleau - Aneroid, SK. Brenden Morrow - Carlyle, SK. Ryan Getzlaf - Regina, SK. I was skeptical of the addition of Morrow to the team, but he's more than dispelled that notion with his hard work and level of compete. Another effort like that from those 3, and a step-up from the Crosby line, and we should be golden.

And after the last 2 fantastic days in terms of medals, we just need a few more medals to eclipse what we managed in Torino in '06. Which is great news, and while I already consider these Games as a success, beating the previous mark would be all we need to bring sexy back.

Martin bringing sexy back

Men's curling is a biggy, and as much as I want to see Kevin win for Canada, I want to see him exorcise those previous Olympic demons, and what better way to do it than against Norway and their delightful pajama-pants. And congrats to the Women's Curling team, I know it wasn't the result we were all hoping for, but I think a silver is pretty damn great.

4man Bobsleigh is another event we've got a few medal chances in - both Canada sleds are in position to make some noise, so hopefully that will boost our totals. And did anyone catch the interview with Pierre Lueders after their first run? It lasted all of 5 seconds, so don't be alarmed if you missed it. He was rather pissy, and I thought that was pretty funny. Kind of like how Jared Leto gets when nobody's paying attention to him. I'm sorry people crashed in front of you and it affected your run, but that's a fairly common thing Pierre...

And a great show put on by the relay team in the Men's Short-Track event last night. I had no qualms about turning away from the hockey game to watch that final. It was really entertaining, and the fact that we busted out a secret strategy to win was awesome. Finally our skaters grabbed some hardware for us, and in convincing fashion too! Loved the moment before they received their medals, and all kissed the podium.

I'm gonna take tonight off from the Games and my TV, to go watch a much bigger screen that will be showing Shutter Island. The book is fantastic, written by Dennis Lehane, and the movie is directed by Martin Scorsese (who's fantastic when he's not delivering essays about film preservation at the Golden Globes - what a snoozefest that was), and starring Mr. DiCaprio, and a great cast. I cant wait to see what they do to make the book come alive, and hopefully it's as good as I think it can be.





Totally worth a read






Hopefully this evening will I'll be able to decompress and relax, then gear back up tomorrow for the fantasticalness that is going to occur in the afternoon. Or at least it had better.
Go Canada!

2 comments:

  1. Have fun at the show, Tom! I'm going to have to borrow that book from you at some point...

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah saskatchewan :)

    ReplyDelete