Saturday, February 20, 2010

I Believe

Another Gold for Canada in Men's Skeleton last night. Awesome job Mr. Montgomery! I figured the Latvian guy had the top of the podium, but what a run! Jon seems like quite the character too, he's a guy who looks like he genuinely enjoys hurdling down an icy track face-first at over 140kms. Or at least the giant toothy grin says he does.






And why wouldn't you smile?
This looks perfectly safe...






If there has to be one repeated disappointment of these games, it's shockingly not from our Alpine Ski Team - it seems the President's Choice Blue Menu isn't quite cutting it for Eric Guay (two 5th place finishes), damn you Galen Weston! - no, it's not that at all. It's winning medals.

Say whaaaaaaaaaa? Well, let me finish. I love Canada winning medals, that's not the problem. The problem is "I Believe". Great slogan, no problem there. But whoever the CTV Braintrust was that decided they needed to flog this awful song should be strapped to a chair, and forced to listen to it on repeat for hours on end. Because that's what they are essentially doing to all of Canada.

Isnt this against the Geneva Convention somehow?

But seriously, the song is awful. And now I kind of feel bad for this Nikki girl.
Yes, this is a tonne of exposure.
Yes, this great thing for her.
Yes, this makes her a household name.
Yes, I dislike like her a lot because of this song. And I know I'm not the only one.

I feel bad for her because this song reminds me of the first song that the person who wins American Idol has to put out. You know, the terrible ones that they are forced to smile through at the finale, and then release it's awfulness to the world.

What do you mean he didn't win?

I'm still loving the Olympics, but this song is beginning to really grate on my nerves. Just like how Lady Gaga loves quirky clothes, WE GET IT ALREADY. There's no need to keep on shoving it down our throats. Cease and desist please. Pretty please?

If they tarnish our gold medal in Men's Hockey with this song, I'm gonna lose it. I guess at this rate, I should change that 'if' to a 'when', but I hold out hope that they wont ruin it with the auditory torture that is "I Believe". But I believe they will.

3 comments:

  1. Actually, if I remember correctly, the 12th point in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights states that "Everyone has the right to a world free from overplayed songs based on trite cliches, particularly when those cliches have the intention of building national pride." Or something like that. :) Someone should file a complaint with the UN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture of Adam Lambert makes me think of Jem & the Holograms

    ReplyDelete